Sunday, September 10, 2006

25 years later...

July 16, 2006
I woke up last Sunday morning to four ladies in the living room, all in pajamas and blankets, all behaving like 13-year-olds. But they are all in their 50's.

See, I was in Seattle for my sister-in-law's wedding, and my mother-in-law, of course, was frantic putting it on. A few days before the wedding, her three best friends came into town (no short trip). They stayed the whole time, cleaned, helped, arranged. But mostly they talked, laughed, teased, told stories. They loved and supported this old friend of theirs through her daughter's wedding. I got up on Sunday to find them all in their pajamas and blankets in the living room talking and shreiking so loud it rang through the house. They told stories about each other, made fun, laughed, went on girly tirades, accused each other of all kinds of funny stuff. It was hilarious. And it reminded me so much of me and my best girlfriends, and I longed for them so much.

How cool is it, that this woman, in her 50's, is still so close to the girlfriends of her youth? She bore and raised children on the same block as some of these friends -- at the same age or younger than I am now. I saw the Emily, Lumina, and Michelle of her life rally around her, in the most beautiful ceremony of women and women's love I have almost ever seen. And I bet most people didn't notice a thing, or think about how special it was.

When we have big events in our lives, all my dearest friends, will we rally around each other and come to each others' sides, even across long distances? Will we come together in a circle of women (or friends), and be the love and support we have been to each other in our youth and vibrance? I know I have experienced this kind of love and support from you. I was surprised, somehow, to see it surface in someone's life who is in stages so much later than mine. It's given me a new appreciation of you my friends, and rekindled my desire for us to be forever a circle of love for each other.

I love you all. I hope you will call me when your children marry and you could use an extra cook, or musician, or flower arranger, or... friend.

3 comments:

Stargirl said...

I had a sleepover with my grandma last weekend. I feel I can relate a little. Who knew my grandma was so funny?

Jason and Emily said...

I'm in. I can't wait to giggle with you as 50 year old women.

luminainfinite said...

Yay!

It just hit me that I am one of your best girlfriends!

I have the best girlfriends in the world! I am so happy!

of course you will come and be an extra cook and flower arranger at my children's weddings...of course!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!