Thursday, May 03, 2007

Whaddya call it NOW?

We've developed some names for some of Seville's special talents. My personal favorite:

The Snart.


I laugh every time she does it (that is... sneeze and fart simultaneously). I know, I'm so mature. There's also the "fough" and the "farcup" which happen less often, but are equally funny.

Speaking of bodily functions, what are we supposed to call the regular version now that we have a kid? I can't bring myself to refer to Seville as having "farted," nor can I abide the idea of a little child running around using that word. I mean, I've never even been really comfortable with it myself, for gosh sake.

When I was a kid, we called it a "bomb," a word that came from my mother's childhood in an English boarding school. It seemed totally normal to me all my life, but I realize it's weird to most Americans. And it certainly is weird to Jared. Other possibilities that hail from my British relatives include: "fluff" and "dust." I have stories of my stuffy English Grandmother turning up her royal nose and demanding, "did you dust?" (yes, royal. My English side is/was nobility, so imagine the scandal in a polite noble household.)

Jared suggested using "pass gas," but that's a) too cumbersome and, b) too adult/medical. It's like referring to poop as a bowel movement or sex as intercourse. Not things I'm going to have a child running around saying (I guess she hopefully won't be referring to sex for several years anyway. Especially since Jared says Seville's not allowed to date until she's 30 years old. still.)

Other rejects: Cut the Cheese (too adolescent), Break Wind (too... I dunno), and Barking Spiders (did anyone else use that one, or is that a Bryce Pixton Original?)

I've experimented with the word "toot" and it seems like the most likely champion. Even though I couldn't stand it as a kid when my friends called it that. It seems to fit a cute baby the best. Does anybody have any good suggestions?

16 comments:

Stargirl said...

Poot.

Barking spiders?!?!

Jason and Emily said...

I'm here, and I read it... but try as I may, I just don't have a comment. :)

Iron Chef Boyardee said...

Actually, I've heard barking spiders before.

In our house, it's "poot".

I am also fond of "queef".

Stargirl said...

How can you not have a comment on THAT post? Sheesh!

By the way, James politely refused to fart in front of me... for years. He just couldn't do it--not that I'm complaining, of course. It wasn't until the day I used the word "poot" that James thought it was okay.

It was all downwind from there.

Skye said...

yeesh. Queef? This must be a common misconception. Jared and his friends apparently used the word queef when he was a teenager too, but... it doesn't mean fart. I'm not even going to attempt to explain it here, but suffice it to say he was mortified and quit using it.

Stargirl said...

I wouldn't be surprised if James knew the real meaning ad used it anyway.

Tamara said...

Yes, let's not use "queef"... eew.

okay.
this discussion has become even more gross. thanks James! :)

my nieces and nephews use the term "letting a fluffy fly."
my favorite was when my niece (then three years old) announced with horror, "Mom! I just let a fluffy fly -- in my mouth!!"

Emily said...

This is too funny! What's even funnier to me is that just last night Keith & I were discussing wheather or not "fart" is really a bad word or not. In my house growing up my father forbid the use of that word. My mom always said fluff but that made it seem dirty to me. I suggested the word "prute" (thats what they say in italy and I used to hear the little kids say it) but then he informed me that that meant hooker in French.
I think I agree with the word toot, but when they get older a more powerful word may be needed if am am to continue the familial ban of the F word......

luminainfinite said...

it's "pangu" in Korea, and a gassy person is called a "pangu-jangi" and korean's are totally relaxed about farts...it's so surprising...they aren't relaxed about much, but farts are just part of life here and no one makes a stink about it (kkk)

riggity said...

we use "gas" as a verb -- "I have to gas." "Did you just gas?" "I just gassed."

speaking of funny farting stuff, and I'm so glad that's the topic, just this morning, I put elliot down in his cage (crib) and looked away. Just then, he gassed and I turned around and looked at him, and he looked up and laughed. It was hilarious. It was like he knew it was funny. Like he's a 12 year old boy already. So mature.

connectedlight said...

i just heard a new one the other day: "it was the elephant under the table"

Alisha Joy said...

found your blog through emily's site and just wanted to say your blog was just the laugh i was looking for. Thank you! . . . oh and I have boys (2 and 6) . . . there's no stopping the fart word in our house. BOYS! SHEESH!

Jared said...

Looking at all of the posts, I've decided that J-Rice's "gas" as a verb suggestion is pretty much money. Skye: we should use that.

It doesn't sugar-coat the issue with unrelated "fluffy" words. It's simple, direct, and to the point; yet the usage is just quirky enough that it lends itself to levity without being awkward or uncomfortable.

...Now if you'll excuse me - I have to gas...

Jared said...

A follow-up thought: When I went to Germany last fall, whenever I asked for water, they would always reciprocate with the question - mit gas or nicht gas? Translated: with or without gas? The question takes on a new meaning in light of this conversation.

Amy said...

In case you're wondering what a real young family does, we actually do use "pass gas" and toot ("did you have a tootie?" "Who tooted?" etc.)

Patrick & Ronette Bryson -- said...

We like to say,"Go ducks!" a sort of funny reference to my hubby alma matter U of O.