Thursday, August 30, 2007

Nekkid

Recently one of my brothers was on his way to an ultimate frisbee game straight from work. He passes my house on the way, and often stops here to change. I was talking to him on the phone and he said he might just skip it tonight: he had just looked in his trunk and only had his shoes, but no shorts.

"Jaaaared!" I called across the house. "Do you have any shorts Bryce can wear for ultimate frisbee?" Jared did, of course, and I offered them to Bryce so he could still play.

He still hesitated, "I mean, I don't have a shirt either."

"I'm sure Jared has a t-shirt you can wear. Heck, I have a t-shirt you can wear. Come over!" I protested.

"Well... uh... it gets worse than that." At which point I had to snicker. No, actually, I laughed out loud. Then I said, "I could ask the question, but I'm not sure if you would even want to borrow any... thing else." He confirmed.

This caused me to wonder. I personally have either loaned or borrowed skivvies from a girlfriend or sister in need in the past. And I know that other women do this too, if need be. Not that it's probably anybody's favorite thing, but it's not that big of a deal either. We have washing machines, after all. Men, on the other hand, I think would generally rather die a slow, painful death than share anything that intimate.

When we were backpacking last May, the subject of sleeping naked came up. I asked Jared if he would ever borrow another guy's sleeping bag if he knew the guy had slept in it naked. "Never in a thousand million years" was his response. Which is funny to me. I mean, I understand, but it still makes me laugh. Men are so phobic about contact with other men.

Death Cab for Cutie has a song about "brothers in a hotel bed," their point being that two men in a bed will sleep stiff as boards and as far away from each other as possible. Me an' the girls? We just cuddle up together. It seems healthy and good, to me, to get physical attention and affection outside of sexual relationships. Sometimes I wonder if men and women are different this way because for men, physicality is inherently sexual, and so no contact is without connotations, or whether our culture so teases "sissy-boys" that men have become paranoid about what would otherwise be a healthy way for them to experience physical touch. Are men so sexual because it's the only kind of contact society allows them? Or does society only allow it because men are, truly, just more sexual about contact?

hmmm....

4 comments:

Tamara said...

ooh. these are good questions!

i actually sometimes wonder if women tend to be more sexual, because we don't mind being touchy-feely as much. okay, so that's overly-generalized. but my best friend from back home and i will actually hold hands sometimes. we've known each other since birth. we held hands at two years old and she's like my sister. so we like to just "be near" each other.
and i find myself just randomly touching corey. like... i like to just touch him. his arm, his back, his shirt... whatever. it's just a contact thing i guess.

but having said all that, maybe i just like physical contact. maybe it's a love language for me. i like hugs and cuddling and just being close to people. it's very primate of me! :)

otherwise, i don't get the thing with boys and their body boundaries. but i like that they would prefer to be with me instead of other boys!

...and why am i not surprised that bryce was caught commando?

luminainfinite said...

It's totally American.

Men in Korea are completely 100% more comfortable touching other men. In fact a lot of them told me they got accused of being gay in the States because they were so comfortable putting an arm around a guy friend, but not touching women. In Asian culture it's innapropriate for men and women to touch a lot in social situations, and considered rude for a guy to touch you even casually on a date before like 5 dates.
It's so cool to see men holding hands in other countries, it's so foreign to me, and so relieving. In Korea if guys are sitting near each other they sometimes touch thighs, or put a knee on another guys leg. I think it's sad that American men are so freaked out by other men's bodiese... but I'm not an American man, maybe they like being like that. I do think it's unhealthy for our society though, because it means that some men are isolated from human touch unless they have a girlfriend, which so many don't, so they don't get touched for years... and then they have a niece or nephew who is cuddly and innocent about touching.... it's scary. Everyone needs human touch. I personally think putting massage therapy into a prison could change many criminals very quickly.

Unknown said...

Skye, I love how your entry reads like a story..it really brings people into your world. You pose an interesting question, I think physical contact differs for everyone depending on the life experiences they have had...

Skye said...

In defense of Bryce, he wasn't actually commando. Just didn't have appropriate "men's wear" for sports with him.

I'm glad to hear it's an american thing (although sad for americans, then) I'm totally with you that it seems unhealthy.