Monday, December 03, 2007

Bucking the Trends

It seems like all the rage lately to go retro with our communication and/or take a sabbatical from blogging. I have a few good friends who are either taking breaks from their blogs or re-evaluating the blog's value and place and how personal one should be, etc. It's understandable, really. You can absolutely bear your soul to the world (literally) and think that everyone is going to come read and post all kinds of supportive comments and stuff... and then maybe nobody does. When Jared & I first started posting about cancer we had something like 450 hits a week. As the drama leveled out, most of those have moved on with their lives and we get just a few comments here and there now (maybe we've failed to capture the imaginations of our family and friends, but how entertaining do we have to make our lives sound to keep our friends interested?)

When we all started blogging, I hated it. I didn't have time to keep up and felt like I was on the outs if I hadn't read every word of every friend's blog (and people were posting lengthy ruminations daily, it seemed). Now, though, I really love blogging (possibly partially due to my using a reader now). It's a way to keep in touch at our own pace, on our own time, however much we're able, however personal we do or don't want to be. But I, too, struggle with having multiple blogs with various levels of vulnerability, etc. And recently, one of the sabbatical-taking friends and I started emailing -- actually e-mailing personal messages -- and I realized that I was able to say things I never would have written here. At least initially.

So in an attempt to revitalize the personal nature of this blog, I'm posting an excerpt of my email to her, responding to how I'm feeling about things and if I'm doing okay with everything going on in my life:

I'm really doing pretty well with things. Jared's on the mend and things are returning to normal, so I'm just trying to catch up on stuff and figure out what Normal Life With Baby is really supposed to be like. I'm looking forward to holidays and trying not to get carried away with all the things I think I'm going to be able to do. In fact, if anything, I'm feeling a little like I've missed something here. People have sent me books, articles, essays, etc written by people who had cancer, or were close to someone who did, writing all about What They Learned or How They Changed or How Their Outlook On Life Is Altered. They talk big. They talk like cancer was this big epiphany which caused them to question everything and turned their world upside down and helped them find God and caused all kinds of personal growth and made them start foundations to help starving babies and made them realize How Alive They Really Are and brought them peace within their souls and goodwill toward all men and world peace and stuff. Me? I'm just kinda trying to hold my marriage together and make sure I feed my baby enough. Cancer was hard. IS hard. still. Right now I'm in the aftermath, and there's a lot more cleaning up to do than I thought there would be -- probably because I didn't experience this life-changing catharsis all these more noble cancer-surviving families did. I'm not sure I'm emerging a better person. If anything, I'm emerging a little bedraggled and beat up and cynical and desperate to reclaim an innocence I think I may have lost -- but I'm holding out hope.

So... you know... other than feeling a little inadequate, life is pretty good these days.

If you still read this blog, I'd love to know...

12 comments:

riggity said...

I still totally read this blog. but that's largely b/c I use google reader too. so, I read everything any of my friends post.

isn't it weird that you feel nostalgic for the good ol' days of personal emailing? email is now considered "personal" and a little bit historic.

Skye said...

That's funny! I hadn't even thought of that. Heavens, how estranged we have become from one another that emailing is now "the personal touch."

Stargirl said...

I read! I read! Every day, if I can. The first thing I usually do when I get home from work is try to reconnect with the outside (non-9th grade) world--and the easiest way to do that, for me right now, is to scroll down my list of blogs and see what everybody's up to. I understand our group's current trend of backing off from it, but I hope we all come back--or go back to such archaeic means as email. There's just too much I want to communicate that I feel overwhelmed by email, I guess.

Julie said...

I have been reading your blog for some time and will continue to do so, if you are ok with it.

Tamara said...

skye, my recent email response was going to include this, but i don't mind posting it to the world... or at least YOUR world.

i could read your stuff all day for the rest of my life. truly. read it, hear you sing it, whatever. i love your thoughts and insights. so i check your blog(s) all the time. i need to get that reader. been meaning too. but then i would have fewer reasons to procrastinate at work...
:)

PSYCHMOM said...

I love reading your blog (I found the link off KaRyn's blog I think). I just like seeing pictures of friends babies and hearing how they, like me are figuring out this whole Mommy/wife thing. I rarely comment on anyone's blog, I'm usually just passing through.
-Alie

kaarina said...

i read! blogs are my only lifeline to my friends.

i'm glad we're family! (that still is a "wow!" for me...)

& i love your writing, too, & your personal feel.

paul said...

I read because it's the next best thing to talking to you (which we rarely get the chance to do). Your style of writing is stimulating and no matter what your subject is, I always enjoy it.

Emily said...

(wink)

connectedlight said...

I'll be here reading your blog until we have regular (and our first) cookie baking dates!...and then realistically I will probably still come and read your blog. ;)

Jason and Emily said...

It's sooooo interesting what has happened since I closed my blog this month. I'm making conscious notes about it every day.

I'm here.

Jessica said...

I read your blog Skye. You are a very talented writer, with lots to share. I generally benefit from what you say. Whether it's shear entertainment, knowing you better and appreciating you more, or reflecting on my own behavior and desiring to be a better person. It's good to read blogs like yours and Tamara's where you guys are just honest. It's refreshing.