Saturday, November 26, 2005

The Fine Line Between True Feelings and True Love

Sometimes our conversations have long pauses between speaking. At first, I took his silence for pouting or being quietly mad; for that's how I felt when I was silent, which wasn't very often really (me? silent?). But now we both pause similarly when having certain kinds of conversations. Long, quiet moments where we carefully and thoughtfully consider what we are about to say, before we say it. It is understood that the pauses are a matter of care for each other, gentleness with each other's feelings, sensitivity to our friendship, and a genuine desire for honesty and truth rather than reactionary feelings.

Guaging the pause is always delicate. Too short and I might say something rash. Too long and it can be misinterpreted, or else I lose my chance to respond because he will take another moment to clarify or expound.

The scriptures talk, at one point, about "reproving betimes with sharpness" -- a weird, almost non-sensical statement, which really means: "say it now, don't wait, deal with things in the moment or else they'll spin out of control." And I've found it so true, yet so hard to adhere to. I am so wary of saying something I'll regret in the future. I so much want to be careful. And yet, if I say nothing, but harbor ill feelings, they only make it worse later.

I have to be honest with myself: am I afraid of speaking my mind now because I might be hurtful, or do I mostly just not want to be wrong? Many times, I mostly just don't want to be wrong. My genuine desire to say something true gets twisted into feeling the need to be right. It's fine to want truth, except that sometimes you have to express the possibly-wrong thing you're feeling in order to find the truth. Sometimes only by inviting another person's point of view can you even begin to see it. Sometimes you need to humility to go out on a limb and say how you feel, only to discover your own selfishness, pride, egotism, and lack of love for another.

I hate being wrong. But I hate being unloving more. But some days I can't be everything that I want to be. Some days I wake up sad or selfish or depressed or indifferent or preoccupied and on those days sometimes I can't find the fine line between true feelings and true love.

6 comments:

Iron Chef Boyardee said...

I have learned the necessity of apologizing when there are hurt feelings, even when I'm SURE that I didn't do anything wrong. It seems, in marriage, that who was right and who was wrong is of little consequence at all.

Skye said...

no kidding!

And yet, I still want to be right all the time. Well... not ALL the time. Just on some bad days. It's amazing to me how I can be the perfect wife some days, and the most awful shrew on others (even when I know it and am trying not to be).

luminainfinite said...

weird! you guys are having a married conversation! you are both married! weird!!!!!

wow.

and em saxey too. wow.

can't wait to join the conversation!

Jason and Emily said...

Skye, you were the one who taught me to just "say it", even if it's not the right place or the right moment. I SO believe in creating beautiful atmospheres, but sometimes ugliness can't be beautified.

Iron Chef Boyardee said...

Honest truth: I don't even want to be right all the time, I just want her to admit she's wrong once in a while...

I don't know if she reads this blog...

I may be in the doghouse if she does.

paul said...

Hi Skye and friends, I feel like I found the golden ticket! I've entered Skye's secret blog world!

Skye and Jared, gentle lovers with strong opinions, a recipe for occasional drama and a healthy relationship.

Audrey was telling me the other day that in a healthy marriage 1 in 7 interactions should be negative. If they're all positive, someone's not expressing their feelings, (I think she might be experimenting with the formula on you a little, James), so I think you're OK, Skye.

I'm excited to be able to participate in the discussion here. Our Sevillian crew are almost all connected by blog now except for a few painful exceptions. I'm feeling the continuance of the Sunday night conversation through this. Beautiful!